Friday, October 20, 2006

Six Degrees of Kung Fu

A few days ago I posted what I thought was a brilliant ad for Volkswagen's Jetta. Clearly European (haven't seen it here in Oz).

Then I came across another ad for the same car, from the US by the looks of it.

Kung Fu doesn't do it for me. If it had have started with an emotion (eg a priceless Mastercard moment), at least the car would have related back to some kind of emotional grounding. But Kung Fu?

Making a stand and going with my gut instincts? Well the European ad's starting to talk to me a whole lot better.

I know that there's some clear cultural differences between Europe and the US, but is the gap that wide for a German car which probably has a consistent set of global brand values?

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the Regional VW guy trying to get some cohesiveness for brand advertising worldwide.

No comments: