Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Evil or Good Backyard BBQ

I think I know what the government is trying to say here in this Drinkwise campaign.

I think.

Be a role model for your kids when it comes to your drinking habits because it will help form their approach to alcohol consumption.

It's just that the TV ad doesn't seem to show anything particularly bad. A couple of blokes in the backyard having a yarn over a beer, everyone pretty well behaved, nothing untoward going on. It looks like a good day going on!

So I'm not sure whether what I'm watching is meant to be a positive articulation of social drinking through the generations or a negative one.

The message itself is an important one to address no doubt. But I don't think this TV ad makes anything a whole lot clearer. Not without delving deeper online anyway.



DDB (who I think are one of the best agencies in town) did a great job a couple of years ago selling a similar message, with a lot more impact. 740,000 hits on YouTube as well....powerful stuff.

1 comment:

Stanley Johnson said...

I'm no fan of this ad either Vando.

Smells to me like the govt are trying to put the blame for teen binge drinking on mums and dads.

Pathetic.